Hi, fellow teachers!
Unless your school pays for a test-generating software, creating assessments is SO time-consuming! That’s why I started creating some done-for-you tests and quizzes available for FREE download!
This test consists of 20 multiple-choice questions and 4 short-answer prompts (students choose 4 of 5).
Suggested grading: 4 points each for the multiple-choice and 5 points for each short answer.
For a PDF download scroll to the bottom of the exam. There’s also a Google Forms link as well. An answer key is included. Hope it helps 😊
The American Revolution Exam
1.One effect of the Seven Years’ War was
1. The advent of the Virginia House of Burgesses
2 . The colonists suffered millions of casualties
3. The colonies were more self-governed due to salutary neglect
4. the French signed the Treaty of Paris
2. “No taxation without representation” refers to
- The colonies’ inability to vote in Parliament
2. Lower tariffs for the southern states
3. The colonies inability to admit new states to the union
4. New taxes imposed in the southern colonies
3. Which of the following is NOT a cause of the American Revolution?
- The Intolerable Acts
2. The Stamp Act
4. Which statement best explains Thomas Paine’s opinion of government?
- Monarchy is the best form of government
2. Governments are unfortunately necessary
3. Governments are unnecessary
4. Citizens should vote for a government that’s not evil
5. The purpose of writing Common Sense was
- To publish and send to King George III
2. The explain why the colonies should declare independence
3. To explain the inadequacies of sovereignty
4. To replace King George III with a new monarch
6. The Intolerable Acts were a response to
- the Boston Massacre
2. the Boston Tea Party
3. the Sugar Act
4. the Stamp Act
7. According to this quote Patrick Henry’s sentiments on independence
1.reveals he is steadfastly against going to war
2.shows his loyalty to the King
3.reflects his overall love of life
4.states his readiness fight for his freedom
8. Henry would NOT agree with the ideas of
2.Baron de Montesquieu
9. The initial battle of the American Revolution was The Battle of Lexington and Concord
2. The Battle of Bunker Hill
3. The Battle of Ticonderoga
4. The Battle of Fort Hill
10. The battle that is considered a turning point in the revolution because it was a victory for the Patriots was
1.The Battle of Fort Hill
2. The Battle of Saratoga
3. The Battle of Trenton
4. The Battle of Yorktown
11. What was the purpose of the Olive Branch Petition?
1.An economic initiative among plantation owners
2. A petition by the Catholic of Maryland to align with the other colonies
3. An attempt by the Continental Congress to make peace with the king
4. An example of mercantilism
12. This portion of the Declaration of Independence is
1.explaining how a government should be run
2. explaining a list of grievances against the king
3. calling for representative houses to be repealed
4. complaining about the dangers of revolution
13. Britain’s reaction to this document was
1.To send British troops to the colonies and start a war
2. to try and compromise with the colonists
3. to explain the reasons for the laws placed upon the colonies
4. to give in to the colonists’ demands
14. This document is a turning point because
1.Britain’s colonies had never before protested against it
2. it was the first document authored by Thomas Jefferson
3. Enlightenment ideas were opposed
4. The United States of America was created
15. Which of the following was NOT an advantage held by the British during the American Revolution?
1.Superior trained soldiers
2. A powerful navy
3. In-depth knowledge of the land
4. More weapons
16. Paul Revere is famous for his
- Bravery during the Battle of Yorktown
2. Horseback ride to warn of the British coming
3. His fierce resistance to the war
4. The publication of his book Common Sense
17 The event depicted in this picture
- angered colonists because the British fired on unarmed protesters
2. was the beginning of the American Revolution
3. killed hundreds of innocent people
4. was justified in the eyes of the colonists
18. Which group would use this event to call for independence?
2. Virginia House of Burgesses
3. the Ku Klux Klan
4. the Sons of Liberty
19. What message is the king sending to Parliament in this speech?
1.He is planning on sending troops to attack the colonists
2. He is concerned about the violence perpetrated by the colonists
3. He is giving in to the colonists’ demands
4. He is calling back all of the unhappy colonists
20. What group of colonists were against fighting for independence?
1. the Sons of Liberty
2. the Knights of Columbus
Choose 4 of the following questions. Answer each in paragraph form.
21. Explain the advantages and disadvantages faced by the Patriots.
22. Describe the advantages and disadvantages held by the British during the American Revolution.
23. Identify 3 events that helped lead to the American Revolution.
24. What was the role of the French in the American Revolution?
25. Describe the role of the First and Second Continental Congress.
= = = = = = = = = = =
= = = = = = = = = = =